• Award-winning journalist focused on health care and science for business and consumer publications
• Author of two well-received books on health and wellness; Awarded the Independent Publishers Book Award: Gold Medal, health/medicine/nutrition, Heal
• Expert in a wide range of health issues with experience in advocacy for cancer patients and others
Freelance Science Journalist and Author, New York
2010 to Present
• Write science, medicine, technology and business features, which have been published by Forbes.com, U.S. News & World Report, CURE, Bloomberg Businessweek, PBS Next Avenue and other media outlets.
• Write and edit news, eBooks and special reports about biopharmaceutical trends for Fierce Markets. Write and edit Fierce Biotech Research, doubling traffic to the website in the first year after taking over the publication. Write news and features about the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries for Fierce Pharma. Wrote and edited the weekly newsletter Fierce Animal Health.
• Assemble and moderate panel discussions for the Fierce Biotech Drug Development Forum and webinars held in conjunction with major biopharma conferences.
• Wrote the books Selling the Fountain of Youth: How the Anti-Aging Industry Made a Disease Out of Getting Old—And Made Billions (Basic Books, 2010) and Heal: The Vital Role of Dogs in the Search for Cancer Cures (ECW Press, 2015). Both books received positive reviews from Publishers Weekly, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, New Scientist and others. Heal was named among the “best books about cancer” by Newsweek.
• Promoted the books on TV and radio talk shows. Designed PowerPoint presentations to accompany book presentations at libraries, bookstores and conferences nationwide. Spoke at the Tucson Festival of Books, serving as both a panelist and moderator of discussions featuring high-profile authors.
• Designed and maintained the promotional WordPress websites for the books, sellingthefountainofyouth.com and healdogsandcancer.com.
Nonprofit Consultant, New York
2011 to Present
• Gastric Cancer Foundation: Elected to the volunteer Board of Directors, January 2018. Participated in the launch of the newsletter and continue to contribute articles about scientific advances, gastric cancer researchers, patients and more.
• Assisted in establishing a social media strategy to boost awareness. Provide ongoing consulting in public affairs and outreach to donors, patients and grant recipients.
• Center for an Urban Future: Wrote two advocacy reports aimed at city and state policymakers. “In Good Health” charted the growth of New York’s digital health sector and advocated for additional support for entrepreneurs, featuring input from dozens of technology executives, venture capitalists and academic leaders. “An Unhealthy Commute” advocated for changes in New York’s public transit system to improve commutes for home health aides, hospital staff and other health care providers.
BusinessWeek Magazine, New York and Los Angeles
Correspondent/Department Editor/Associate Editor/Senior Writer
2000 to 2010
• Reported and wrote news and features, including several cover stories, about pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and health care. Responsibilities included writing in-depth analyses of breaking news events, profiles of prominent executives, book reviews, personal finance pieces and stories about industry trends.
• Investigated financial conflicts in medicine, producing a series of features that included “Medicine in Conflict,” which helped spark a Congressional review.
• Produced original online packages and content to accompany magazine stories, such as slide shows, video interviews and related features. Wrote articles for two management blogs.
• Coordinated with producers of the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric to develop print and television stories on important medical topics. Collaborations included “Resveratrol: The Hard Sell on Anti-Aging,” an exposé about scam Internet ads for the red-wine supplement (2009); and “Doctors Under the Influence,” covering physicians who failed to disclose financial relationships with drug companies (2008). Appeared on other television and radio programs to discuss science news.
• Edited company profiles, special reports and briefs spotlighting scientific advances.
• Managed the widely read cover package “Hot Growth,” spotlighting the 100 fastest-growing companies of 2005 and 2006. Assigned and edited company profiles, and produced an online slide show containing profiles of all the companies.
• Reported and wrote news and features about the Internet and biotechnology industries as a correspondent in the Los Angeles bureau from 2000 to 2004.
• New York Press Club, Consumer News: “Selling the Promise of Youth,” 2007, and “The Digital Hospital,” 2006.
• Association of Health Care Journalists, General Interest Magazines (second place): “Selling the Promise of Youth,” 2007.
• American Society of Business Publication Editors, Individual Profile (silver): “Medicine in Conflict,” 2007.
• Foundation for Biomedical Research, Michael E. DeBakey Journalism Award: “Crossing the Gene Barrier,” 2006.
• American Society of Business Publication Editors, National Gold Award, Feature Writing: “I Can’t Sleep,” 2005.
• American Society of Business Publication Editors, Individual Profile (bronze): “Genentech’s Medicine Man,” 2004.
Writer and Editor
Home Office Computing Magazine
Individual Investor Magazine
Tucson Lifestyle Magazine
Alexander & Alexander Services Inc. (now Aon)
• Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism, Evanston, Ill.: MS in Journalism
• University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia: BA in Communications.